We have two guests this morning.
Carol is a mom who adopted a son when he was 6 months old. She’s going tells us her journey of raising a child with autism and how she is learning to value respect and trust. With respect and trust, our body and mind systems calm so that we are less self-protective (or what’s called the fight or flight response) and able to learning more effectively and make decisions mindfully. This is helping her to connect with her son and support his development.
Our other guest is Lisa Palasti, Relationship Development Intervention Certified Consultant and Autism Specialist who shares how the parent-child relationship is key to repairing breakdowns and supporting the special needs child’s development by remediating deficits. You can connect with Lisa at lisapal(@)sympatico.ca or her website (coming soon): www.mindfulguideconsulting.com
- Create the optimal environment for your child to develop and learn (and for you to grow as a parent).
- Discover how to guide your child to notice social nuances and develop his problem solving and thinking skills.
- Learn about “guided participation relationship”, your role as parent and why it’s critical for children to reference parents for guidance.
- Take a breath, make space to be productive, not reactive.
- Make your home a safe and trusting place for optimal learning and development so your child “says” with his behaviour “I feel good with you!”
I am so grateful to offer these short (under 3 min) clips from the show care-of Elizabeth Alford, Online Community Manager, www.RDIconnect.com:
- Our Goal is to Create Independent Thinkers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYS3BA097So
- RDI Fit the Priorities I Had for My Son: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF0hioXvFWc
- Trusting Your Instincts as a Parent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huWTr8ZHxTA
- RDI Has Changed Everything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE-sJkgyoB4
- Denial is Normal and Part of the Process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB4_zQbymn8
- Parents Can Make all the Difference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6oXNKXnVIQ
- The Power of Motivation Over Reward: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SSmXny9sew
Let’s keep this conversation going. Tell us about your impressions of this show.
Do you have any experience with RDI? Did you try anything new as a result? If so, what did you discover? Please comment below or visit our FaceBook Page for frequent updates.
Broadcasted: Sunday November 10th, 2013 1100-1200 Eastern Time on CFRU 93.3 FM, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Listen to Pod Cast (click to listen now or save this MP3 to listen later)
- The Science of Trust: Emotional Attunement for Couples by John M. Gottman
- You Are Here: Discovering the Magic of the Present Moment by Thich Nhat Hanh
- Hold On To Your Kids: why parents need to matter more than peers by Gordon Neufeld
- Parenting from the Inside Out: How A Deeper Self-Understanding Can Help You Raise Children Who Thrive by by Daniel J. Siegel and Mary Hartzell